- The electricity network and market
- Sustainable Development
- Electricity supplier
ERDF manages the electricity distribution network across 95% of mainland France, guaranteeing quality and safety. Local distribution companies manage the remaining 5% in their exclusive service zones. Additionally, the RTE (Réseau de Transport d'Électricité) is responsible for the transmission of electricity.
The public distribution network managed and used by ERDF enables the distribution of electricity into customers’ homes, businesses or local communities.High or very high voltage lines transport electricity from power stations to distribution networks. These networks are managed and operated by RTE
ERDF manages 95% of the public electricity distribution network. This network belongs to local authorities, i.e., French municipalities or groups of municipalities. Through concession agreements, the local authorities subcontract the management of their network to ERDF (in its distribution service zone).
Local distribution companies (LDCs) are responsible for managing public electricity distribution across 5% of mainland France. They are important partners for ERDF.
The quality of electricity supply provided by ERDF is one of the best in Europe. Nevertheless, the network faces a two-fold challenge of modernisation and adaptation, especially in order to include the production of electricity from facilities using renewable energy (solar or wind energy, etc.)
Whether overhead or underground, the electricity distribution network can present risks for people and goods. Safety regulations for areas surrounding electricity installations include engineering works, vegetation, the usage of fishing rods, kites and more.